One Act Fever Hits Park Hill High

Jesse Berlin, Copy Editor

While many turn out to see the musical or go enjoy the play, there are lots of people who aren’t as familiar with the third and final theatre production of the year: An Evening of One-Act Plays. Held on April 27 at 6 p.m. in the high school auditorium, it’s an annual fundraiser event in which people can come and view student-directed and sometimes student-written one-act plays, as well as donate money and participate in a silent auction. All proceeds go towards the theatre department.

This year, the event will feature six one-act playsfeaturing cheerleaders fighting aliens, a choose-your-own-adventure horror-mystery, a dating show parody, a woman who ventures into the afterlife, a man-eating plant and a creative twist on a Shakespearean classic—that are all put together in a month.

It starts when students choose or write a one-act play and turn in applications to become directors. If they’re accepted, they hold auditions that are open to any Park Hill student. After establishing their cast, the directors put together a rehearsal schedule, reserve a rehearsal location and organize baskets filled with prizes to be sold in the silent auction.

Because all these tasks are put on the student directors, their jobs can oftentimes be challenging.

According to sophomores Charlie Parsons and Luke Malony, who wrote and are directing the aforementioned choose-your-own-adventure horror-mystery, the biggest obstacles include scheduling, since multiple directors usually share multiple actors, and staying on task.

“People that you’re more comfortable with are definitely easier to work with because you’re not afraid of stepping on toes,” said Parsons, “but at the same time, you go on tangents about the most random things.”

Despite these obstacles, sophomore Ashtin Umstattd, who acted in An Evening of One-Act Plays last year as well as this year, is impressed by how it all comes together on time.

“[S]ince it’s not run by any adults, sets and anything like that is all made by the directors and the cast so sometimes it can get a bit stressful,” said Umstattd. “…[B]ut everybody puts in a lot of hard work and it ends up being amazing!”