Jesse’s Most Anticipated Movies of 2019

Jesse Berlin, Copy Editor

Jesse’s Most Anticipated Movies of 2019

Hello, ladies and gentlemen of Park Hill High School! My name’s Jesse Berlin, and you’re currently reading Jesse Talks Movies. I’ll review movies, report movie-related news and write movie-related essays, so if you’re a cinephile like me, strap in and enjoy the ride!

Today, I’ll be talking about the 9 films I’m most looking forward to seeing in 2019, so without further ado, let’s get into it!

1. Chaos Walking

I don’t know a whole lot about this film, mostly because it’s based on a book I’ve never read called The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. But from what I’ve gathered, it’s in the science fiction genre, of which I’m a fan, and is dystopian future-type story. It’s being directed by Doug Liman, whose work I’m not all that familiar with. However, he directed Edge of Tomorrow, which was also in the science fiction genre and a film I enjoyed. But what stands out to me the most is one of the film’s screenwriters, Charlie Kaufman, whose screenplays for Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind are some of the best ever written. The film also stars Tom Holland and Daisy Ridley, two young actors I’m excited to see break out of their respective franchises and expand their horizons.

1. It: Chapter Two

I enjoyed the first It, as well as the 1990 It miniseries, both of which had some of the best child acting I’ve ever seen. Thus, I’m looking forward to It: Chapter Two, which has a pretty solid cast that includes James McAvoy, Jessica Chastain and Bill Hader. Now, based on the 1990 It miniseries, the second episode, which follows the Losers Club 27 years after “killing” Pennywise, was not as entertaining as the first episode. But if the 2017 It is any indication, I’m hopeful the sequel will live up to the hype.

1. Us

Back in 2017, Get Out blew my mind, and I believed it was snubbed for Best Picture at the Academy Awards. When I heard Get Out’s writer/director Jordan Peele (of whom I’ve been a fan since his Key & Peele days) was making a new film called Us, I didn’t even know the plot, and I was instantly hooked. Now, I was a little disappointed when I discovered Us was another horror movie that, judging from the trailer, has a similar tone as Get Out. It would’ve been nicer to see Peele experiment with a different film genre, but I trust his talent and creativity to turn Us into something that stands on its own.

1. Captive State

This is another science fiction film, this time being directed by Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) and starring John Goodman. Yes, it’s an alien movie, which is not the most original concept, but one of my favorite movies, District 9, is an alien movie, and it was fresh and inventive. Captive State, based on the premise, also seems this way. It follows an uprising against an alien race that has enslaved humanity, and judging from the trailer, it looks like it’ll retain some ingenuity and even contain a little social commentary, both of which made District 9 so great.

1. Avengers: Endgame

I’m not a huge follower of the whole superhero genre, but I enjoyed Avengers: Infinity War last year and am looking forward to the conclusion of the series. I was impressed by Infinity War’s ability to juggle all of those characters and multiple plotlines at once and transition seamlessly through action, humor and drama. In that regard, I think Endgame will make for a satisfying conclusion.

1. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

The world is quite often an ugly, violent, scary place, but Fred Rogers was and still is a beacon of hope. I wasn’t alive when Mister Roger’s Neighborhood first aired on television, but from everything I’ve heard about Fred, he was just a great guy, both on and off screen, and that restores my faith in humanity. I don’t even know how good this film will be, but the documentary about Fred Rogers, Won’t You Be My Neighbor?, was the only movie out there that actually made me shed genuine tears, so I’m stoked for anything Fred Rogers-related. And the choice to cast Tom Hanks as Fred Rogers is icing on the cake.

1. Joker

The Joker character has been portrayed several times in cinema history, and some of the portrayals have been incredible (Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight) and others forgettable (Jared Leto in Suicide Squad), so it’s not really clear how good this film will actually be. That being said, there’s a number of elements to at least remain hopeful. Todd Philips, who directed The Hangover trilogy, takes the directorial reins, the film stars two of my favorite actors, Joaquin Phoenix (who plays the Joker) and Robert De Niro, and from what I’ve read about the plot, it’ll be less attached to the comics and have use more creativity as a driving force, which is always good to hear.

1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Quentin Tarantino is hit-and-miss for me. For example, I enjoyed Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but I wasn’t that into Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained. That being said, I appreciate his unique and now-recognizable style and sharp writing. Set in Hollywood around the time of the Manson murders, the film stars two heavyweight acting champions: Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCapiro, both of which I enjoy. I don’t know exactly where Tarantino plans to go in terms of plot, but I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

1. Star Wars: Episode IX

I’ve been a big Star Wars fan since I first watched the original trilogy as a child, so yes, I’m obviously excited for any new Star Wars film in general. Also, I’m not a nit-picky fan. I liked The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Last Jedi. This may make me easy to please, but I don’t care. I’m going to see Star Wars: Episode IX no matter what.