Start Times

Joseph Wharton-Walker, Reporter

Studies show that sleep is essential for students to be able to learn correctly. If students don’t get enough sleep in the morning, it can reduce their ability to solve problems easily. But is more sleep really that important if it means getting out of school later and possibly being late to work? What if a student has to walk home from school but also has somewhere to be? The new school start times next year might be a mixed bag for some people, but most would either totally agree, or be completely against it.

“I agree with the later start times because I’ve always felt 7:30 was too early. Everyday it’s a struggle having to wake up and be ready to learn at 7:30. So I think it’s a good opportunity to gain a few extra minutes of sleep,” Senior Grace Carter says.

The biggest thing that a lot of students are worried about when it comes to the change in start times is the fact that they will be able to sleep in, but that’s not always the case.

“I think adequate sleep is one of the most important aspects of living a healthy lifestyle, so I would support any measure that promotes an increase in healthy sleeping habits for students. While I am not sure that a 20 minute change in school start times will automatically add 20 minutes of sleep to student schedules, it is certainly a step in the right direction,” ELA Teacher Michael Brinkmeyer says.

One of the downsides of having school start later is that it will have to end later, and not everyone is okay with that.

I’m against the later start times because that means sports will end later and that will affect other things you have to do,” Freshman Skylar Rash says.

Being able to sleep in a little longer before going to school may be the thing students need to be able to focus in their earlier classes. First blocks are always filled with tired kids with their heads down, but starting school later might just make students more awake and aware at school next year.