Disconnected: Education without Connection

Caroline Connolly, Web Editor; Reporter

With the vast majority of schools switching over to remote learning, many students are being left behind. Nationalized online education is feasible for the first time in history due to a largely globalized society, but districts of lower economic status are experiencing a dramatic lack of participation.

The issue lies primarily in students in poverty that are unable to access a quality internet connection on a regular basis. According to the New York Times, “Los Angeles said last week that about a third of its high school students were not logging in for classes.” Attendance has faltered at many schools. 

In contrast, affluent schools are experiencing incredibly high rates of attendance. According to the New York Times, “The dramatic split promises to further deepen the typical academic achievement gaps between poor, middle-class and wealthy students.”

Some schools are providing solutions to a lack of internet access. According to WLTX19, “The South Carolina Department of Education said 3,000 school buses are being connected to internet providers this week.”

Park Hill students are in a relatively fortunate position at the present time, with an established laptop program and the opportunity for students to utilize a wifi hotspot if they are unable to access the internet at home.

Senior Micheal Aguirre has had a smooth transition into remote learning. “Personally, for my classes online, school hasn’t been that bad, but I’d rather be going to school than online,” said Aguirre.

Equal opportunity is ensured for our peers during this uncertain time.